Community Hub Operating Centre (CHOC) Development Engagement Sessions
Our CHOC Development Managers Cathy Bellman and Gayle Savage have recently completed a series of open discussion events with more than 80 stakeholders from each of our community networks and GP practices across Ash, Canterbury, Faversham, Sandwich and Whitstable.
The aim of these events was to develop a shared understanding of the bigger picture – nationally, regionally and locally – and the roadmap for CHOCs over the next one to 4 years as health and social care organisations move towards integrating into one.
Key themes/points of discussion that emerged included:
- The Kent & Medway Sustainability & Transformation Plan (STP) and how CHOCs fit into it
- Building relationships across primary care, community, mental health , social care, care homes and the voluntary sector
- Patient and carer involvement in integrated case management
- Linking in with acute, social care and voluntary sector to get people out of hospital quicker
- Ramping up the 10 week proof of concept for CHOC multidisciplinary team integrated case management of patients with long term conditions
- Sharing ideas and culture across organisations
- Integration needs to include an integrated health and social care budget to overcome inherent barriers
As a result of these events, primary care town team workshops are being organised for January 2017 to develop further thinking and planning of the way forward for the CHOC model of care.
Below is an illustration of the Encompass MCP’s ambition for a CHOC model of care with integrated systems of care wrapped around the patient at GP practice level so that outcomes for our local populations are improved.
- More engagement and communication with stakeholders across the MCP
- Secondment of operational staff from MCP organisations to ramp up CHOC multidisciplinary team integrated case management
- We also begin work to look in more detail at how to align CHOCs with its key interfaces e.g. Local Referral Unit, 111/Out of Hours Care Navigation Service, Home First Model.
For further information about the events click here to view the presentation