GPs can now access specialist geriatrician advice every day from 12 – 2pm. The new service allows GPs to talk to a geriatrician direct, clinician-to-clinician about frail patients at risk of acute hospital admission in the next week.
See the leaflet: Consultant geriatriacian_ A5 leaflet_FINAL email version (1)
The phone line can provide:
- Advice on next steps
- Guidance on complex personalised anticipatory care plans
- Advice on onward referrals to primary or secondary care services
- Assistance with community services care pathways
- Assistance with liaison with care agencies
- Prescribing or de-prescribing
- Ceilings of care
- Domiciliary visits arranged, as required.
For less urgent advice, or if the dedicated phone time slot is not suitable, please email: kcht.canterburyLRU@nhs.net
Referrals will be triaged within two working days and responses to email referrals will be made within seven working days. For two hours a day, our consultant geriatricians are on the other end of the phone to talk, clinician-to-clinician about frail patients at risk of acute hospital admission in the next week.
Excluded: Patients who need immediate emergency care or whose death is imminent.